Day 1 – Colombo Airport – Weligama Bay
Once you arrive at Colombo International Airport (CMB), Lankan Tour Hub (Pvt) Ltd.’s guides will pick you up from the airport. Then, you will directly be transferred to the surf camp in Weligama, Sri Lanka via E01 Sothern Express Highway.
This day, the guides will be going to show you the city and beach around Weligama. You will check-in and meet the team. There, you will enjoy seafood beach barbecue local foods and Sri Lankan style cocktails. Afterward, you can visit a beach party with DJ music or take a rest as you wish.
Day 2: Weligama Beach – 2 basic surf lessons
You will begin your day with enjoying a breakfast buffet, a combination of Sri Lankan and western foods (changing daily). You will have a surfing lesson or professional surf guiding at My Surf Camp Surf School on the beach for almost two hours. You can collect your basic surfboard and start your practice with the surf teacher.
You will have your buffet for lunch. In the spare time, you may relax on the beach, go snorkeling, or you are free to practice surfing with the surf teacher in the afternoon. On this day, two surf lessons are included. You can go watch the evening sunset locations on the beach and do yoga with a yoga teacher till the sun goes down. In the evening, you will enjoy barbecue grilled dinner or Sri Lankan food and take a rest.
Day 3: Weligama Beach – 1 basic surf lesson
Wake up to a freshly prepared breakfast of both Sri Lankan and western foods (changing daily as you wish). This will be day two of your surfing career, so slap on the sunscreen, take your theory and practical lesson at the theater (the theory is every day and can be before or after the surf session), jump in a tuk-tuk, and head to the surf school for either a lesson or guided surf.
After this day’s morning surf, all the lessons are finished and hopefully, you will catch your own waves on your own at a surf spot. Check out is by 11 a.m. Grab some photos in My Surf Camp to show off to your friends. Make sure you’ve got everyone on Facebook and say goodbye to your surf camp family. They miss you already.
Beginners surfing lessons
- Preparations on the beach including safety introduction
- Surfing supported by an instructor
- Time for break/s if needed
- Short wrap-up
Level 1 surfing lesson
Level 1 surfing lesson is designed for the complete beginner and for those who have tried surfing a few times but have not been able to catch a wave by themselves. You will learn surfing with the right techniques accompanied with friendly and experienced surfing instructors of The Surfer Weligama. One instructor will guide a maximum of 2 persons.
For first-timers, this shorter beginner’s class is recommended, as surfing is a physically demanding sport and can be quite tiring!
Level 2 surfing lesson
Level 2 surfing lesson is designed for the surfers who can catch a wave in the white water but want to continue to progress their surfing and learn safety tips, tricks, how to go to the lineup, how to catch a green wave properly and turn so they can improve from a beginner surfing level to an intermediate one.
Intermediate surf lessons
An innovative and unique coaching system for intermediate and advanced surf lessons is thought of as one of the best island-wide. Booking with Sri Lankan Tour Hub is a process where they get to know who you are, where you are in your surfing and what you want from the course. That attention to your needs and the ability to really expand your surfing is what makes them so special. They have coached right up to top international competitors and have over 10 years of surf coaching experience at the intermediate and advanced levels of surfing.
Developing your surfing technique
Board selection and design service is unlike any other surf camp or school. Imagine having just the right board being chosen by your own coach? A board that will really help you have more fun and advance in your surfing.
If you are just moving onto unbroken waves and your first good turns, or if you’re more advanced and you’re already trying to perfect maneuvers, then their coaching will be perfect for you.
They explain techniques clearly and always give you the correct and positive feedback that’s needed. They know they can make a huge difference to your surfing and women’s intermediate and advanced surfing is progressing all the time and their coaching and coaches reflect that too.
What you’ll learn.
You will cover at this level:
- Perfecting take off / pop up
- Acceleration techniques
- Core balance in maneuvers
- Top to bottom turns
- Paddle out techniques duck dive
- Paddling technique
- Cutbacks, off the lips, floaters
- Wave formation
- The history of surfing
- Surfboard design
- The rules of surfing
- Tides and how they work
- Fitness for surfing
- Types of surf spots
- Surf prediction
Advanced surf lessons
The advanced surf lessons are focused on helping surfers to have more fun by gaining more control and better flow and consistency to your riding in more challenging waves.
What will you learn in advanced surf lessons?
- This course will help you improve your bottom turn and to learn top turns or cutbacks, how to duck dive, and how to take control of your speed. Progress from passively gliding down the wave to actively surfing it.
- Learn how to generate speed, choose the right maneuvers to stay in the power pocket of the wave, and how to improve your paddling technique so you use less energy.
- The instructors can also help with advanced takeoff techniques to minimize wipeouts, and help you acquire better wave-reading to avoid close-outs and get a better position in the line-up.
How do advanced surf lessons work?
- The instructors will do a short assessment that will help to determine your surfing level, so they can tailor the right training programs with specific exercises for you.
- Depending on your abilities and goals, they will help you focus on the right exercises and on choosing the right equipment. They’ll ensure you don’t limit your development through poor equipment choices, such as having too small a board or the wrong fin set-up, etc.
- All surf instructors are skilled and professional, certified by the International Surfing Association (ISA).
- Sri Lankan Tour Hub keeps the groups small, always working to a maximum of eight students per instructor, in keeping with the recommendation of the ISA.